The process of appointment of academic leadership is as follows:
- The Dean is appointed by competitive interview for a term of 5 years.
- Departmental heads are appointed by Vice Chancellor in consultation with Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic Affairs) based on past performance for a term of 2 years.
- The academic management structure and the staff establishment of the school of Public Health is as shown in Annex 2 and Annex 3 respectively.
- The performance of the academic leadership of the school is evaluated through:
- Annual staff appraisal by the University Appraisal Committee
End of Semester student appraisals
Administrative Staff and Management
- The administrative support functions include: student matters (admissions, registration, finance, examinations, counseling and general office administration).
- The administrative staff structure comprises of; a school Assistant Registrar, University systems administrators, Dean of Students and Administrative Assistants.
- The recommended staff student ratio is 1:12, For the non- teaching staff the recommended ratio is 1:25.
- The performance of the academic leadership of the school will be evaluated through a performance contract. The position of the Dean is appraised every 5 years. The departmental heads have a contract for a term to be decided by the University Management.
- The administrative and management component of the medical school has a quality assurance programme through Directorate of Internal Quality Assurance (DIQA) that uses the following checklist.
- Student attendance for lectures and practical shall be recorded at every contact throughout the semester.
- The quality assurance form specifying the teaching outline on a weekly basis shall be filled at every contact throughout the semester.
Students will appraise lecturers at the end of every semester using forms prepared by the Directorate of Internal Quality Assurance (DIQA). An analysis of such evaluation will then be relayed back to the Department for implementation.