Title of the Programme
The programme title shall be Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Promotion
Philosophy of the programme
To harness knowledge in applied sciences and technology for the service of the community
Rationale of the programme
Needs assessment / market survey / situation analysis
Worldwide, many people continue to suffer from preventable communicable diseases such as diarrhoea as a classical example. The need for capacity building in the field of Health Promotion has been compounded by the continued increase of preventable diseases .. The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree programme in Health Promotion aims at producing Health Promotion scientists capable of addressing health issues by responding effectively to deteriorating conditions that affect human health with a view to enable individuals and communities to take control of their health as well as improving the quality of life.
Justification for the need of the proposed programme
The need for prevention, reduction of transmission of both communicable and non-communicable diseases in the human population calls for improving physical, biological, cultural and social environmental conditions.
The labour market demand for environmental health practitioners over the years, has not been matched with the existing training opportunities in the country and the region at large, hence ineffectively responding to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human population and health.
The need for capacity building in the field of Health Promotion has been compounded by the continued increase environmental hazards emanating from the rapid urbanization and industrialization due to modern technological advancement hence filling the existing gaps in environmental health training. The programme intends to produce an Environmental Health Practitioner who will be capable of integrating theory and practice in critically assessing, analyzing and managing environmental issues affecting the health of the individual and the community. The environmental health graduate will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills through lectures, tutorials, group discussion, practicals, research and field work.
Vision of the proposed programme
To be a leading university in Africa in the development and training of health Promotion professionals.
Mission of the proposed programme
To train and develop Health Promotion professionals with ability to offer quality health care which is geared towards prevention and promotion of health.
Objectives of the proposed programme
The objectives of the programme will be able to:
- To instil knowledge, attitudes and practices conducive to a healthy lifestyle;
- To prepare professional for a career in community health promotion; and
- To prepare learners for academic advancement and research in health promotion or
4.To prepare learners who have competencies that enable them to
- Assess, individual and community needs for health promotion.
- Plan health promotion strategies, interventions, and programs.
- Implement health promotion strategies, interventions, and programs.
- Conduct evaluation related to health promotion.
- Administer health promotion strategies and interventions.
- Serve as a health promotion resource person.
- Communicate and advocate for health and health education.
- Apply appropriate research principles and techniques in health promotion.
- Fundraise for health promotion
Expected learning Outcomes of the proposed programme
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health the graduates will have acquired knowledge skills and attitude to be able to: –
- Demonstrate ability to assess individual and community needs for health Promotion.
- Demonstrate ability to plan health promotion strategies, internventions and programmes.
- Conduct evaluation related to Health promotion
- Apply appropriate research principles and techniques
- Soliciting funds for health promotion-
Administer a health promotion strategies and interventions