Needs assessment / market survey / situation analysis
Development of this curriculum arose from need for academic progression by Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics graduates having graduated eight intakes since May 2013. Needs assessment was done in consultation with the stakeholders and the university curriculum development and review committee. The stakeholders included; Nutrition and Dietetics Students, Ministry of Health, The Kenya Nutritionists and Dieticians Institute, NGO representatives, Kenya National Examinations Council, representatives from other higher education institutions, this led to the development of the course content and duration of study.
Worldwide, many people continue to suffer from preventable communicable and non-communicable diseases. The need for capacity building in the field of Nutrition has been compounded by the emerging and remerging health challenges. Good nutrition is crucial in the attainment of a wide range of development goals. The Vision-2030 sustainable development agenda has put addressing of health issues at the top of its goals. Mostly, SDG 2 (Zero Hunger – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture) and SDG 3 (Good Health and Well-being Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages). In order to achieve this there is the need to design and develop nutrition sensitive interventions, with the aid of highly professional nutrition workforce with specialized skills to guarantee the wellbeing of the community.
The Master of Science, in Nutrition and Dietetics programme is essential to the training of Nutrition specialists for both community and clinical setup that will be capable of addressing these issues that will ultimately help to enhance sustainable health. The Master of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics programme aims at producing both clinical and community Nutrition professionals capable of addressing nutrition and health issues by responding effectively, developing, managing and evaluating health programs and proposing viable alternatives.
The field of nutrition encompasses some of the most critically important issues affecting the society today among them world hunger and diet related chronic illnesses. The labour market demand for both clinical and community nutritionist. Nutrition practitioners over the years have not been matched with training opportunities in the country and the region at large; hence the inability to respond to emerging nutrition related health challenges. Highly trained professionals in nutrition are needed to provide expert advice and leadership- on the nutrition, safety and health benefits of food for individuals and the community. Moreover the continued increase in health issues emanating from the rapid urbanization, industrialization, physical inactivity and poor dietary practices due to modern technological advancement, and emerging and re-emerging diseases make capacity building in the field of Nutrition a necessity.
The programme intends to produce skilled clinical and community Nutrition professionals, who will be capable of integrating theory and practice in assessing, analysing and managing, developing, and evaluating policies affecting the health of the individual and the community, and be able to suggest effective and appropriate Nutrition interventions. The Masters of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics graduates will be equipped with necessary knowledge, skills and attitude through lectures, tutorials, group discussion, seminars, to become objective, accomplished, in Nutrition research and programs.
Objectives of the programme
The objectives of the MSc ND programme are to:
- Prepare students to use nutritional knowledge and skills to address contemporary health practice challenges.
- Prepare students for position of leadership and scholarship in nutrition and dietetics practice research and training
- Play an effective role in the development and expansion of opportunities for career progression in nutrition and dietetics
- Promote innovation and entrepreneurship for sustainable development in nutrition and dietetics
- Prepare students for community service in nutrition and dietetics
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Master of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics the graduates shall have acquired knowledge, skills, competencies and attitude to be able to: –
- Apply nutritional knowledge and skills to address contemporary nutrition related health practice challenges.
- Demonstrate leadership and scholarship in nutrition and dietetics practice research and training
- Coordinate development and expansion of opportunities for career progression in nutrition and dietetics
- Apply innovative and entrepreneurial skills in nutrition and dietetics for sustainable development.
- Conduct effective community service in nutrition and dietetics