Rationale for the programme
The high incidence and prevalence of preventable diseases, the emergence of new diseases, food insecurity and the need for proper Nutrition, places a heavy demand on the training institutions offering nutrition related courses.
Advances in I.C.T call for a need to improve training Curriculum to be relevant to today’s market and to improve on operational research in the endeavour to meet Kenyan developmental goals as well as solve malnutrition problems in Kenya and Africa as a region. Nutrition activities are being incorporated in development programmes and planners are using nutrition outcomes such as improved nutritional status to evaluate the impact of these programmes. With co-operation between local communities, NGO’s and government, the lives of our people can be improved, healthy growth and development and greater productivity can be achieved through good nutrition.
Lack of access to good education and correct information can hamper this. Without information accessible from research and education programmes, the awareness, skills and behaviour needed to combat malnutrition cannot be attained. All human beings have the right to good nutrition
Mount Kenya University recognizes the need for producing highly skilled nutritionists who will provide Kenyans with the much needed quality health care services.
Objectives of the Programme
The objectives of the programme will be able to:
- Equip students with knowledge and skills to perform accurate nutrition assessment, diagnose and make recommendations
- Equip students with knowledge and principles required in management of nutritional disorders
- Understand food preferences for individuals and communities to promote healthy eating habits and manage diet related conditions
- Participate in dissemination of nutrition information through nutrition education and nutrition counselling to individuals and community.
- To develop skills in implementation, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition projects and programmes.
- Provide knowledge and skills to conduct dietary management of various disease conditions at individual, community and in emergency situations.
- Promote innovation and entrepreneurship activities in the area of food nutrition and dietetics
- Train manpower that is able to participate in the generation of national and international nutrition and dietetics policies.
- Recognize the importance of collaboration with various stakeholders in management of nutrition related problems in the community.
- Participate in the community and operation research and keep abreast with emerging issues.
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Certificate in Nutrition and Dietetics the graduates will have acquired knowledge skills and attitude to be able to: –
- Apply the knowledge skills and attitudes to undertake quality nutrition and dietetic practice in a range of setting including disasters and emergencies.
- Apply independent learning and reflective practice skills to allow capacity for self-evaluation and management that is strategic and focuses on quality nutrition and dietetics practice.
- Demonstrate skills to practice in an ethical and professional manner in a changing work environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply inter-disciplinary approaches to the prevention promotion of wellbeing and management of nutrition and dietetic problems.
- Demonstrate commitment to the nutrition and dietetics discipline including individual and collective professional development.
- Provide leadership in solving problems related to nutrition and dietetics.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Certificate Graduates
At the end of the course the graduate should be able to:
- Participate in nutrition and dietetic services offered in health facilities and community.
- Participate in educating consumers on issues of nutrition and dietetics at individual, family and community level.
- Participate in management of people with special needs and emerging issues and develop appropriate intervention.
- Assist in community nutrition and dietetic planning and development of appropriate interventions in disasters and emergencies.
- Participate in mobilization of groups collaborating with stakeholders on matters related to nutrition and dietetics.
- Assist in sensitizing other professionals working in the community on nutrition and dietetic requirement.
- Provide and participate in operational research and keep abreast with emerging trends.
- Plan and implement, monitoring and evaluation of nutrition programs including surveillance at all levels.